Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm glad I'm not the only one...


Robert Kirkman is launching a number of projects through Top Cow's "Pilot Season" Image imprint.  They're releasing five self contained "one shot" issues featuring different characters - after the fifth issue ships, fans can vote on which title they'd like to see continue.  The second of these is Demonic, about which Kirkman has this to say:

Like Murderer before it, this one started with just a title.  That's not always the case with my various projects over the years; sometimes the title is the absolute last thing I come up with.  Every now and then, though, I do come across a cool word that I think makes a great title and that gets my mind racing on all kinds of interesting possibilities.  As a matter of fact, other than Stealth [another one-shot issue], I think all of these Pilot Season concepts started in my head as titles.  Maybe I do that more than I realize.

I've mentioned this before, but the concept for Teddy and the Yeti came about the exact same way.  The name popped into my head and the characters and concepts came later.  I'm happy to read that others do the same thing, because it always struck me as kind of strange to develop an entire universe from a rhyming title.  I guess if it works...

As for the Demonic issue in general...it was pretty terrible.  My apologies to Mr. Kirkman and the rest of the talented people who worked on the book for saying so, but the issue basically contains the main character gruesomely murdering lots of people and then saying "WHYYYYYY?!"  I'm generally a fan of Kirkman and his style of writing, but this issue was pretty much a slight tweak on what he's doing monthly in Haunt...which I am, honestly, not that crazy about, either.  But Invincible, Walking Dead, Irredeemable Ant-Man, and Brit?  Hey-ooooooo!

2 comments:

Larry Franks said...

You read a lot of comics in a month, don't you?

Jeff said...

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?!