Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thing sketchbook, part 1

As a public service and a constant reminded of how awesome it is, I thought I'd release to the world my convention sketchbook.  I got the idea to carry one of these around with me in 2003 and since then, whenever I make it to a convention I try to get a few new additions to this book.  As I have a strange obsession with the Fantastic Four's Thing, I thought it'd be fun to get different artists' interpretation of this one character.  I've got 41 in my book as of right now, and as the book has gotten fuller it's become one of my favorite things about going to conventions in the first place.  I'll add some commentary to each sketch to give some context.

Unfortunately, there are a few sketches where I've forgotten the names of the artist who took the time to add his or her drawing - in those cases, I would be grateful to anyone who had any guesses in those regards.  Let's get started!


Angel Medina - Pittsburgh Comicon 2003

Angel Medina has always had a number of styles he works in, and this is an example of his "big head" characters he was working on at the time.  He was hyped at the prospect of being the first artist in the book.  I wish it were a bit darker, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

I'm considering getting this piece inked at a future convention, but I'm not sure if that would be, you know, sacrilege or not.  Any opinions on that?



Terry Austin - Pittsburgh Comicon 2003

I find it funny that Terry Austin drew a classic Thing here and then goes on to tell some self deprecating joke about not being able to draw him.  Seems pretty good to me.



Pittsburgh Comicon 2003

I used to think that Michael Avon Oeming drew this, but now that I'm more familiar with his work, I realize I'm probably wrong in that assumption.  I got this done at the Image Comics booth at the Pittsburgh Comicon, I know that for sure - if anyone can help me out with the artist's name, I'd appreciate it.



Bill Morrison - Pittsburgh Comicon 2003

Bill Morrison was/is an art director at Bongo Comics, publisher of the Simpsons and Futurama comic books.  There was a long line of people waiting to get a sketch from him, and he seemed a little frustrated because everyone kept asking him to draw Homer or Bender when he made it clear that 20th Century Fox didn't allow him to do so.

He perked up when I asked him to draw the Thing, and he produced one of the most original entries into the book.



Steve Lieber - Pittsburgh Comicon 2003

Jimmy Palmiotti was talking with his friends at the Wizard World Philadelphia convention in 2004, telling them how easy it was to draw the Thing.  He mentioned that his friend Steve Lieber always drew the character in a suit and tie.  I brought the book over to him, opened to this page, and we all had a good laugh.  Hilarious.


I hope you, random reader, enjoyed these first five sketches.  I'll post more soon.

No comments: