Sunday, March 18, 2012

Random blog-lets! FUBAR update; SuperBrackets at the Toonseum; shirtsand more!


Welcome to another fantastic edition of whatever this is!  I've got a lot of subjects and just a little bit to say about each of them.  Let's begin!

- The FUBAR Free Comic Book Day Kickstarter project is in full swing, and THIS JUST IN (I guess)!  It was fully funded within the first 24 hours.  The new goal is to raise $2600 and double the amount of books to be printed.  I myself have pledged $35 for the above reward - it was the shirt that did it for me, honestly.  If you'd like to support the book as well, you can use the above link to do so.


- I also picked up some shirts recently.  These blanks are from Next Level Apparel and will soon host the images of...some things that I'm working on.  We'll see how that works out.  Next Level has any number of styles and I'm sure that I'll try a few of them out eventually, but for now we're sticking with the classic tee.


- Our friends at the Toonseum created this super hero bracket in honor of the NCAA tournament going on right now (perhaps you've heard of it).  It's a Marvel vs. DC showdown with only one winner, and everyone's encouraged to fill out one of their own.  You can take a look at my predictions below:


I can't wait to see who wins!  I hope one of my guys pulls through.


- Continuing the theme, here's a pinup of the Thing by artist (and new best friend) Mario Wytch, who offers a unique yet classic image.  I think this is a sketch card.  I'm hoping to convince Mario to send it to me.  In return I'll do just about anything.  Seriously, I want to own this.


- Please file this next image under the category of "things that embarrass me about comics sometimes".  There's a new Danger Girl series underway at IDW, and, apparently, a new member of the team.  "Who is she?" the copy asks.  This is a reasonable question.  "What are her skills?", it continues.  I guess this can also be considered a question that readers of the book should think about.  Then it goes a little over the edge and asks, "What are her measurements?"

Really?  Come on, comics.  You can do better than that.


- Lastly, here's an image from a recent issue of Dark Horse Presents, a story by 
Dara Naraghi titled "The Protest", which I think was the best of the bunch. It's a personal tale of life in Iran after the Islamic Revolution, and I recommend it to anyone looking to experience just what comics can accomplish as literature.

Mr. Naraghi was kind enough to allow me to use this eight-page story in some English classes I'm teaching this semester, so I'm happy to spread that message to a few others this year. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and pick up DHP #4. It's well worth your time and the cost.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

As soon as you know what issue it'll be appearing in, perhaps you could let me know and I'll pass the word along. Great news!