Tuesday, October 8, 2013

2013 Comic-Con swag (Futurama, Venture Bros., Firefly, the Tick and more!)


You didn't seriously think that I had run out of posts about Comic-Con, did you?  Of course not!  What trip would be complete without a showing off of all the neat things I was able to pick up while I was away?  And at Comic-Con, there are always cool things to be had.  I took pictures of what I got and I'll share 'em while I still remember where everything is!

This first item is also the first item I bought at the show.  On Wednesday evening, as soon as I had checked in and picked up my Comic-Con swag bag, I went over to the Toynami line to pick up this deluxe Futurama set with Destructor and Gender Bender (from a specific episode of the show).  The Destructor figure is proportionately giant and it looks great.

While in line waiting to buy the set, there was a placard announcing plans to raise funds for a new Morbo figure though the bakesale website Kickstarter.  The fundraiser was supposed to start in Auguest, according to the information on hand, but as of yet I haven't seen or heard anything new in this regard.  This is a shame, because I really do want more Futurama figures.  Toynami shouldn't have to peddle on Kickstarter to fun their products, either, but that's another argument entirely.


I have a number of the Venture Bros. Mego-style action figures, but I kind of wish I had held out for the more standard, 3 3/4-inch figures, which look awesome and take up much less room.  At any rate, I picked up the "naked" Brock Samson figure from the Entertainment Earth booth and was lucky enough to get it signed by Patrick Warburton!  I need to find a hard case for this thing, but so far I haven't had any luck.



There were a number of limited Venture Bros. items at Comic-Con, and I picked up more than a few, including this limited lunch box/tin tote gift set.  It has figures of the Monarch, Dr. Mrs. the Monarch and the Pupa Twins inside!


The Adult Swim Fun House was a big hit at the convention, and I picked up a Venture Bros. shirt while waiting in line - for free!  Love the design.


There was other free stuff to be had at the Fun House, and I came home with a few things, including this Mooninite hat and Fun House poster!


This Firefly keychain is a small item, but it went fast at the QMX booth.  I was lucky to get the very last one that was sold on Wednesday.  I was told that there were a few more to be had, but that they still had to be shipped from the store house in Los Angeles.  This is just the same keychain that was previously offered in silver, but this time it's refinished!  Totally different products, I'm sure you'll agree.


One of the coolest items I brought home from the show was a couple of autographs on a book that I took with me.  I mentioned a little while ago that I won a Serenity graphic novel in a silent auction for the Can't Stop the Serenity Pittsburgh event, and that the book had been signed by Summer Glau and Jewel Staite.  Due to some incredible luck, I was able to get it signed by Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk on the very last day of the show!  Who knows if I'll ever be able to get the rest of the cast to sign the book, but this was a very nice way to cap off the show.


I also brought to the show the base of my Sideshow Tick statue.  I was able to chat a little with Ben Edlund when he stopped at the New England Comics booth, and he was kind enough to sign the bottom of the base.


Rounding off my autographs is this awesome poster signed by Felicia Day!  I mentioned this earlier, but Day had a Q&A and signing at her Geek & Sundry site.  She was incredibly nice and handed these out for free.  It's a pleasing design and to have it signed was an unexpected treat.


The last item to show off is also the most adorable.  Petco, the mega pet store ("mega" describing the store, not the pets...but I guess that describes some of the pets) was promoting their new Star Wars-themed pet merchandise, and as such, these giveaway Yoda cat ears were a bit hit at the show, so much so that you had to stand in line at the beginning of the day if you wanted to have any chance of getting a pair.  As you can see, the results were...HEART-MELTINGLY SWEET.  Captain Applesauce has always been photogenic, but this image...oh my goodness.  How precious.

And that wraps it up for this time!  Will I have more Comic-Con-centric posts?  Only time will tell.  Also, yes.

No comments: