Friday, August 11, 2017

Pictures from the 2017 Comic-Con International, part 1: Tuesday, 7/18 (The Tick activation site!)

It's time once again for Comic-Con pictures! It's an annual event that sometimes stretches into December or whenever. But it has arrived! Let's see what we've got. These pictures were taken on the Tuesday before the show, the day I arrived. I arrived early enough to grab my badge from the convention center and check out some of the events still in construction.


Many (most) of the pictures you'll see on this post and others deal with The Tick. This is naturally because I have something of a vested interest in the property, but also because Amazon made sure that the branding was just about everywhere within a quarter mile of the convention center. I knew that there would be a lot of hype for the new show, but I couldn't fathom just how much there would be.


Right outside of the convention center was The Tick Activation Site. What does "activation site" mean? What were they activating? In any case, there was Tick blue by the gallon, as two huge stages were in the process of being built as I walked by.


Amazon revealed character posters for the show earlier in the week, and we all got to see them at full size at the show.


Of course. the most impressive aspect of this offsite event was the 20-or-so-foot tall Tick antennae display. Yes, I reached up and touched it when no one was looking.


I took pictures of the site until someone came out and told me to stop. I guess Comic-Con doesn't want pictures to leak before the show opens, but it's got to be tough when there are so many (really cool) displays popping up out in the open.


After a good 20 minutes of gawking, I made my way inside the convention center to drop some things off at the booth. I picked up the 2017 bag and program along the way. It's always fun to see the convention hall on Tuesday, because there's so much frantic building going on. Everyone is working as hard as he or she can on this day. It's neat to see things come to life.


There are also many people-sized crates all over the floor. I'm not saying that people are being shipped in in boxes, but I'm not NOT saying that, either.


After seeing so many Tick sights outside, I was still floored to see this circular banner on display inside the lobby. How incredible.


I'm sure I took more than a few of these pictures during the show. It's tradition, I guess.


The banners hanging on street lamps were once again Marvel themed. This time I saw Black Panther and Thor banners.

More to come...of the actual show.

No comments: